Saturday, December 29, 2007

Balance Boards

Last summer we went out to Lake Powell with Shane's family and stayed on a house-boat for about a week. We had so much fun wake-boarding, when I came home, I looked online to see if I could find something to help improve balance and such (since we don't have the luxury of being able to hit the lake out here in Tennessee!) So I found these boards online, called Indo Boards. http://www.indoboard.com/pages/index.php?page_id=indo_tv

They were a little too pricey for me, but I found a template online on how to make one, and decided to try it out! We decided to make one for Scott and Tara for Christmas. It's basically just plywood with wood stops glued at the ends, vinyl lettering, lacquer, strips of grip tape on the bottom of the board, and 4 or 6" pipe. Kevin (Shane's sister's husband) has amazing equipment and expertise, and helped us figure this out and make it look good. All of the edges on the board and pipe were so nice and rounded and smooth! He even helped us figure out how to get the bar codes and lettering off of the pipes (full strength acetone!) And it was a fraction of the cost of the Indo Boards.

Here's Dallin (Scott and Tara's Son) showing off his skills!


It was a hit and everyone wanted one, so Kevin and Shane went to Home Depot and got materials to make 4 more boards so everyone could have one!

1 comment:

Becky said...

What a fun project! Sounds like they were a huge hit! :) Do you make one for you, too?